Saturday, March 19, 2011

You Know You're Old When...

We recently purchased our first ''new'' family car this week.  While car buying has been one of the ultimate tests for our marriage and my nerves, I would say we passed with flying colors and a pretty fly ride.  I'm in love with it; It has everything I always wanted in a car but of course never got to have in my little Saturn.  The first thing I said when I got in it was that I finally felt like a 'cool mom'.  Something about it just makes me feel all giddy and young inside.

I decided to take a trip to Griffin to get away from the house for a few days (and mostly to test out The Escape).  I packed the bags neatly in trunk, put on my sun glasses, and posted on facebook I was on my way!  The first thirty minutes flew by...I had the sunroof open, the music on my ipod blaring, and cruise control set while I was sipping on lemonade and soaking in the coolness of my new ride.  Apparently God saw that I was beginning to feel a little too awesome and quickly reminded me I had two kids in the back seat (one of which needed to pee).  As well as my scalp was getting burned, my ipod was playing songs from Glee, and my lemonade was coming from Libby's sippy cup that I had taken the lid off of.  When I pulled over on the side of the rode to let Libby pee I realized that no new car could make me feel cool again as long as there was a two year old using it as leverage to use the restroom... 
 
In one last final attempt to regain some of my youth I decided to go out with some of my best friends...sadly the only thing I gained was the understanding that I was no longer the free spirit I used to be...new car or not.  So in Kris fashion I comprised yet another list...   
I call this one the "You Know You're Old When" List.

1.  You go "out" to JHenry's
2.  You arrive on time and get annoyed that others are late.
3.  You order red wine to drink...because you actually drink it
4.  You get out your phone to use EZ Tip Calculator...because you're on a budget and 18% is more than plenty.
5.  You invite your friends parents to come "out" with you...because you actually enjoy the conversation and company.
6.  After two drinks you have already said too much and are whipping out the cell phone to show people pictures of your children.
7.  Everyone asks you how married life is...and you've been married so long you don't even remember being single.
8.  You are yawning at 10:00...and apparently "the night has just begun"
9.  You close out your bar tab and the total is $8.00
10. Somebody says "Man I miss the old Krissy" and ALL your friends chime in with "me too"...

Needless to say I don't need to spend $8.00 to feel like a loser...staying up "late" to watch Iron Chef America pretty much confirms it for me already. 




    

2 comments:

  1. Yes, we are getting old...but we are getting old together... And I laughed out loud to all the "you know your old whens" because I know they were true...But I realize there are plenty of memories to be made with my "old" friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny!!! I can definitely relate to this, mainly because I AM old!!! Angela and I stay up and watch Iron Chef America too. Well actually she falls asleep halfway through it. But that's because she is old too.....

    ReplyDelete